PROFILE AITKEN ALEXANDER NON-FICTION PRIZE
The next call for entries will open in spring 2021.
Profile Books and Aitken Alexander have partnered to launch the Profile Aitken Alexander Non-Fiction Prize for the best debut trade non-fiction proposal from an academic.
The prize is an advance of £25,000 and a publication agreement with Profile Books. Submissions selected for the shortlist will receive editorial development and support from agents at Aitken Alexander Associates. The winner and runners-up are announced in winter each year.
The competition is open to those with a PhD or an equivalent qualification, graduate-level lecturers in a University or College, and senior researchers at an institute or think-tank. The submission must be for an author’s first trade non-fiction book and must be focused on an area in which the entrant holds a post-graduate qualification. Submissions must be written in English and take the form of a 3,000-4,000 word outline or essay setting out the intended subject, argument and approach for a non-fiction trade book. The closing date for entries is 30 June in the year of entry and the winner and runners-up will be selected by a panel of judges to be named.
To enter, please email your proposal in Word format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Full terms and conditions of the prize
- The competition is only open to those with a PhD or an equivalent qualification, graduate-level lecturers in a University or College, and senior researchers at an institute or think tank
- Submissions must be focused on a subject in which the submitter holds a post-graduate qualification.
- The submission must be for the author’s first trade non-fiction book. Submitters who have been previously published trade non-fiction in their field will not be eligible.
- The decision of the Prize Judges as to whether a work is eligible shall be final and binding.
2) Submission Format
- The submission should take the form of a 3,000-4,000 word outline or essay setting out the intended subject, argument and approach for a non-fiction trade book.
- The authors of the three best submissions as determined by the panel of prize judges will receive guidance from agents at Aitken Alexander, either in person in London or by phone, to produce an expanded book proposal. The best proposal as determined by the judges will receive a £25,000 advance and a publishing agreement with Profile Books, care of Aitken Alexander Associates.
3) Rules of Entry (how to submit a proposal)
- Email email@example.com.
- Proposals must be written in the English language.
- Proposals must be submitted directly by the author.
- Proposals may have no more than two authors.
- Only one proposal may be entered by each author.
- Proposals must be submitted by 30 June in the year of entry.
4) Conditions of the Prize
- Profile Books retains the right of first refusal to publish every submission, which persists until the announcement of the winner.
- Any publication agreement entered into as a result of the prize may only be cancelled in accordance with normal warranties as set out in the contract.
- Any offers of publication will include all rights including audio, eBook, and translation.